This page contains affiliate links. If you click a link and buy something, I receive a commission for the sale. This does not cost you anything. But if you do use my links, I appreciate your support.
- Utah is admitted as the 45th state
- The first modern summer Olympics begins
- Henry Ford builds a Quadricycle (https://corporate.ford.com/company/history.html)
- First movie theater opens in U.S.
- Klondike Gold Rush begins
- John Philip Sousa writes Stars and Stripes Forever
- William McKinley is elected President of the United States
- Alcatraz becomes a federal prison
- It Happened One Night starring Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert opens
- First Masters Golf Tournament is held
- U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is created
- Agatha Christie publishes Murder on the Orient Express
- First All American Soap Box Derby is held
Back of the book: Everyone in their small Amish community expects Greta Goodloe to marry her longtime sweetheart – Greta included. So when he publicly ends their engagement, in front of newcomer Luke Starns no less, she is utterly humiliated. At least she can take comfort in matchmaking between Luke and her quiet schoolmarm sister. Yet the more she tries to throw them together, the more Luke fascinates her.
A serious, no-nonsense schoolmarm should be exactly what Luke wants in a wife. Still, he can’t help but be charmed by Greta’s warm smile and impulsive ways. Does he dare to stray from the sensible choice and take a chance on happiness?
A Place of Refuge by Janet Lee Barton
Back of the book: If Kathleen O’Bryan were capable of trusting any man, it might be someone like Luke Patterson. She never expected to be reunited with the man that rescued her last summer. But when she arrives at Mrs. Heaton’s boardinghouse, seeking refuge, it’s the handsome writer who greets her at the door.
Something about the lovely Irish immigrant stirs Luke’s protective instincts. Life in New York’s harsh tenements hasn’t dimmed Kathleen’s tender spirit. Day by day, Luke feels the walls around his heart crumble. But it will take faith on Kathleen’s side, too, and the heart’s power to recognize a real home at last…
The fifth giveaway I am having is for two Love Inspired Historical books: A Groom for Greta by Anna Schmidt and A Place of Refuge by Janet Lee Barton. They are gently read copies in very good condition. To enter the giveaway, just fill out the Rafflecopter form below. Open to readers with USA mailing addresses only. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. The winner will be notified via email and will have one week to respond back to me with their info. Good Luck and Thank You for stopping by!
The comment question for this giveaway is: From this blog post, what event did you find most interesting?
Share this with others so that we can support these wonderful authors!