“S” is for Stress
We don’t like it. We hope we never have it. But it is inevitable.
Yes, that nasty six-letter word can be the undoing of what may otherwise be a perfect life. It is an unfortunate fact. Stress is unavoidable. The hardest thing to do during times of stress is the normal things. However, it is the normal things that we must focus on during those times. Stress can cause us to behave in ways that are unpleasant and selfish. If we can focus on those things that we normally do to build our relationships up than we have a better chance at handling stress in a constructive way.
Here are some things you can do when you are stressed
- Pray – stay close to God so that He can carry you through
- Reminisce – remember the good so you can ease the stress of the difficult
- Reinforce – show your spouse that you love them
- Laugh – yes, laughter can be the greatest medicine
- Teamwork – remember that you and your spouse are on the same team
- Motivate – use stress as a motivator to build up your marriage
- Together – spend some quality time together
- Apart – spend some quality time alone with God
- Breathe – take a deep breath and then take several more!
Above all, remember that, like everything else in your life, stress is a season. It may be a moment (or it may seem like forever) but if you keep it in the perspective of it being a season, you may be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
What tips do you have for dealing with stress that affects your marriage? Share with us by commenting on this post.