“P” is for Priorities
We are all allotted a certain amount of time in our days and our lives. Because of that we must prioritize. If we don’t, then we are going to find that some things which are not so important will take place of other things which are important.
What are your priorities?
Our number one priority should be God. As Christians we know that without God at the helm of our lives, everything else falls apart. We must make sure that we are working on our relationship with God.
As a married couple, our second priority only to God, is our spouse. Among the people in our lives, our spouse will be first. Our marriages are the relationships that must come first because that is the relationship that should last for the rest of our lives. For those who have children at home, this can be difficult; particularly if you have children from previous marriages. It can be a real juggling act at times. We often find ourselves having to compromise in order to get things done. Setting our priorities and keeping them straight is hard work, but the reward is worth the effort.
How can we prioritize? Here are a few tips:
- Identify your priorities – If you don’t know what they are, how can you keep them straight?
- Write them down – there is something about the act of writing priorities down that will help you keep them.
- Pray for guidance and help – ask God to help you keep your priorities straight.
- Tell your spouse – this will help keep you and your spouse accountable for those priorities.
- Stand up for yourself – be respectful when you need to be, but stand up for your priorities.
- Re-examine yourself – taking time periodically to reassess your priorities will also help you keep some balance in your life.
How do you make your marriage a priority? Share it with us by commenting on this post.